THE KAWAGAMA LAKE COTTAGERS' ASSOCIATION EXISTS in order to:
- "Preserve the Heritage" on Kawagama and Bear Lakes;
- Encourage all members to practise good stewardship to maintain the unspoiled lake environment for our children and grandchildren;
- Encourage respect for life, lifestyle and quality of life;
- Build community spirit and support for initiatives of the KLCA such as regattas, and other recreational and educational events;
- Interact with municipal, provincial and federal government representatives and agencies regarding land use, taxation and environmental issues.
GUIDING PRINCIPLES for the KLCA BOARD of DIRECTORS:
- The Board of Directors is a community of peers, comprised entirely of volunteers who must be members in good standing of the KLCA;
- The KLCA’s Board of Directors is elected by the membership, is accountable to the membership, and acts solely in the interest of the membership;
- The Board of Directors is obligated to use democratic methods in order to ensure that the board is representing the goals and aspirations of the majority of the membership;
- All directors vote with equal stake and weight on KLCA business matters. The president is entitled to a tie breaking vote in the event of a tie; the Lake Plan (passed by the Annual General Meeting of July, 2004) contains the mission statement, the values, the vision and the goals of the KLCA. It is the basis of board of director action for the foreseeable future. It can be modified by the board in response to new issues and concerns expressed or confirmed by a majority of the membership in response to a ballot or survey;
- Decisions regarding issues and board business shall not be made by individuals or committees but by a quorum of board members following notification to all and expressed by vote either at a meeting of the board or by e-mail using the e-mail administrative process passed by the board on September 3, 2007. Decisions reached by a majority of a quorum are binding on all board members;
- Consensus building is regarded as the best decision making model for the board. A vote, once consensus is reached, will confirm for the record the decision on the motion.
- The KLCA is committed to respecting your privacy and will utilize the following practises for the collection, use and disclosure of personal information. Personal information is information about a named identifiable individual. Personal information includes gender, age, address and phone numbers, e-mail address, activities and views.
- Personal information is collected directly from the individuals concerned. Unless permitted by law, no personal information is collected about an individual without first obtaining the consent of the individual to the collection, use and dissemination of the information. The KLCA will not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 18, except age for age-related Regatta races. Any information or other input provided (such as Reflections' input) by a minor under age 18 will not be used without parental consent. The KLCA endeavours to ensure that any personal information in its possession is as accurate, current and complete as possible. The KLCA endeavours to maintain adequate physical, procedural and technical security with respect to storage of personal information to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure or modification.
THE KLCA COLLECTS THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
- Name, address, phone number (home and cottage) and e-mail address, collected annually with the Winter Newsletter for membership renewal;
- at the Regatta, we solicit age from participants for age restricted races and championship cups;
- occasionally we solicit views and activities through surveys or during the Annual General Meeting to assist your executive in undertaking appropriate actions.
Our purpose in collecting personal information and use of it is typically limited to the following:
- address and phone numbers facilitate contact by the KLCA executive and other members. Name, addresses and phone numbers are published annually in Reflections.
THIS PERSONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE INCLUDED IN REFLECTIONS UNLESS YOU SIGN THE CONSENT FORM AS PART OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL
This information will continue to be used until changed or consent revoked:
- e-mail addresses facilitate your executive providing updated or urgent information on a timely basis, or advising of updates to the web page. E-mail addresses will not be included in Reflections;
- age information is collected at the Regatta and used only at that time to ensure age defined race and championship cups are presented properly;
- your input on issues, concerns and activities helps your executive to decide on what actions to undertake on your behalf. This information will normally be destroyed after it has served its purpose.
The KLCA does not provide our membership lists to anyone outside the KLCA. Personal information is limited to use by your executive for the benefit of the KLCA. Consent to publish your name and address in Reflections may be used by other members to contact you, although we ask them not to use it for commercial purposes.